Before Nicole from My Karma Kitchen arrived, I spotted the most beautiful jumbo sized artichokes at the local grocery store and they were 2 for $3. Not sure what prices are like where you live but that is a steal here!
We now have these beautiful chokes and one day left to cook together. I have to admit, it was kind of the day for mishaps, nothing major if you don’t count one injury (artichokes are prickly) and a tray of artichokes crashing to the ground. I can hear the gasps now. It was one of those moments where you look at the other person knowing that you are both thinking the same thing… do we brush them off, grill and eat them anyway? If it wasn’t for Barker, the puppy and his grubby paws that may have become a reality. Do I hear gasps again? Thankfully, we had 1 artichoke that wouldn’t fit in the stock pot that we were able to fix up! Crisis averted.
Big thanks to Nicole for visiting and re-energizing my passion for cooking and being my hand model. Be sure you don’t miss her Scallops with Fresh Spring Greens and Orange Fennel Reduction recipe!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
4 fresh jumbo sized artichokes, trimmed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 sprigs of lemon thyme, picked
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 T. butter
- Fill a large bowl with water and squeeze juice of 1 lemon into water.
- Trim artichokes by cutting 1 inch of the bottom and removing any loose leaves. Using kitchen scissors, cut off prickly ends around the entire artichoke.
- Cut each artichoke in half and place in lemon water, to avoid browning.
- Using a large stock pot, fill with water and bring to a boil.
- Place artichokes in boiling water, cook for approximately 10 minutes or until tender but not mushy.
- Remove artichokes and drain.
- Fire up outdoor grill.
- Using a small bowl, add olive oil, juice from 1 lemon, garlic slices, 3 sprigs of lemon thyme, salt and pepper.
- Lay artichoke halves on a cookie sheet and brush olive oil mixture on both sides of each artichoke.
- When grill has reached a minimum of 400 degrees, place artichoke halves on grill.
- Grill for 5 – 10 minutes or until nice grill marks are present, turning and flipping frequently.
- Using a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add 1 sprig of lemon thyme.
- Season grilled artichokes with sea salt and serve immediately with lemon thyme butter.
Subscribe to Z is for zest and have recipes delivered to your inbox.